Can I Get Delta 8 in Kentucky?
The state of Kentucky has embraced hemp just as much as the rest of the nation, offering a wide array of high-quality goods that focus on CBD (cannabidiol) as well as other desirable compounds found in the plant material. Another cannabinoid in hemp is delta 8, and it’s quickly becoming a hugely popular choice from Louisville, to Lexington to Bowling Green – for those who want to experience all that this member of the cannabis genus can do.
Delta 8, also known as delta8, delta-8 and d8, is a minorly occurring cannabinoid in hemp, being present in only about 0.1% of the plant’s chemical composition. It offers effects quite unique from other cannabinoids like CBD, and therefore more and more Kentuckians are seeking it out.
But, as anyone in America will tell you, cannabis laws can be extremely confusing, and making matters more complicated is the fact that they seem to change constantly from state to state. So, is delta 8 even legal in Kentucky? And if so, where can a resident find it, and what types of products are even available in the state?
Trying Delta 8 in Kentucky
CBD has proven to be a huge success both in Kentucky and throughout the rest of the United States, being a hemp-derived cannabinoid that works directly with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which uses cannabinoids to promote regulatory actions that may allow our bodies to function more efficiently. But, CBD is just one of over a hundred unique cannabinoids in the hemp plant, with each one affecting the body in a slightly different way.
In the hemp plant, there’s around 15 to 20% CBD. Meanwhile, delta 8 exists only in trace amounts – about 0.1%, as we said earlier. However, thanks to impressive advancements in the hemp industry, plenty of companies have found ways to successfully extract delta 8, turning it into a concentrate that allows us to explore this cannabinoid all on its own.
What is Delta 8, Exactly?
In technical terms, it’s degraded delta 9 THC. Delta 9 is the cannabinoid notorious for its psychoactive properties, making up about 20 to 25 percent of marijuana’s chemical composition, but only about 0.3 percent of hemp. Being a degraded form of delta 9, it does have psychoactive properties, however they are far subtler. Most people who use delta 8 say that they don’t experience the heavy fog-like feeling, and instead just notice general improvements in mood.
Additionally, delta 8, like all cannabinoids, may play a role in maintaining homeostasis through regulatory actions performed by the endocannabinoid system. In other words, its properties go beyond its mild psychoactive effects.
Is Delta 8 Legal in Kentucky?
Naturally, people will wonder if a psychoactive cannabis compound is legal or not. After all, marijuana use, at least recreationally, remains illegal both federally and in the state of Kentucky, because of its high level of delta 9. But, believe it or not, delta 8 remains protected by federal law, and that’s thanks to the Farm Bill of 2018.
The Farm Bill of 2018 finally legalized commercial and recreational use of hemp throughout the country, by declassifying it from the list of controlled substances. The law simply states that in order for a hemp product to be legally sold, possessed and consumed, it must contain at max 0.3% delta 9 THC – the amount that, as we said earlier, naturally occurs in hemp anyway.
The law goes on to say that all hemp derivatives can be legally sold, including individual cannabinoids, as long as they adhere to this limit of delta 9. Delta 8 does not contain delta 9, being an entirely different compound. As a result, delta 8 is legal in this country.
State laws are free to modify federal cannabis laws, and many have. However, what matters is that Kentucky does allow delta 8.
What Kinds of Products are available with Delta 8 in Kentucky?
Now, let’s get into the different types of delta 8 products that you can legally purchase and consume in Kentucky.
- Vapes: Delta 8 vapes can be sold as bottled e-liquids, pre-filled cartridges or disposable vaping devices. They are known to work quickly, taking minutes to peak, and offer more potent effects.
- Tinctures: Delta 8 tinctures are oil-based products consisting of delta 8 extract diluted in a carrier oil. They are held under the tongue in order to absorb through the sublingual tissue for fairly fast-acting and long lasting effects.
- Gummies: Delta 8 gummies are for ingesting delta 8. It can take up to two hours for the gummies to take effect due to the need to first make its way through the digestive tract. But the effects are known to be fairly subtle and long-lasting.
- Capsules: Delta 8 capsules work similarly to gummies in that they are ingested, but they may produce effects sooner.
Finally, note that delta 8 flower is not legal in the state of Kentucky, as all hemp flower products have been banned by the state.
Where Can Kentuckians Find Delta 8?
Let’s now go over the best places to find delta 8 in the state of Kentucky.
- Vape Shops: One place in which you may be able to find good-quality delta 8 is in vape shops located throughout the state. Because delta 8 vaping products are so popular, and are legal, more and more vape shops are selling these goods in their stores. Make sure that the vape shop you choose only sells high-quality products from trusted brands, as some vape shops may not have high standards when it comes to what they stock on their shelves.
- Online Distributors: Perhaps the best place for Kentucky residents to find delta 8 is online distributors who specialize in hemp and CBD goods. These companies typically maintain extremely high standards when it comes to the products they sell and the companies they carry, in order to keep their reputations high.
- Hemp Companies: You can also buy delta 8 directly from companies that produce these products, through their websites.
What to Look for in Products Sold with Delta 8 in Kentucky
You may have guessed that while delta 8 is widely popular, not all delta 8 products are created equally. Be wary of companies selling illegitimate, weak or poorly manufactured products. One way to ensure that you’re only getting high-quality goods is to look for lab reports that come from a third party, as provided by the manufacturer of the company. The hemp industry self-regulates by each individual company sending each batch of hemp extract to a third-party lab, where the extracts are rigorously tested for impurities, microbes, chemical composition, potency and more. These lab reports should be accessible to consumers by the company through their website or through their packaging.
Also, make sure that the delta 8 company you’re buying from has positive reviews, to increase the chances of ending up with a product that suits your needs and preferences.
Delta 8 is a fast-growing submarket within the hemp industry, and many Kentucky residents are eager to make it a part of their daily routine. If you’re ready to give this fascinating cannabinoid a try, know that you can legally find high-quality delta 8 goods in your home state.