Delta 8 in California
Those who live in California are no strangers to cannabis, as the state has one of the most liberal policies regarding marijuana in the country. But there’s another plant belonging to the cannabis genus that has won over Californians, and it’s hemp. This cousin to marijuana offers its own unique chemical composition that consequentially provides different effects and properties that many California residents seek out.
The newest cannabinoid in the hemp plant to receive tons of hype is delta 8 THC, also referred to as delta8, delta-8 and d8. It’s short for delta 8 tetrahydrocannabinol, and its particular effects are becoming extremely appealing to those who live in California and elsewhere.
Why are Californians Trying Delta 8 THC?
What’s the big deal about delta 8, anyway? Well, this hemp-derived compound produces effects quite different from the other cannabinoids in the hemp plant. That’s because delta 8 is a form of THC, just like delta 9 THC, which is the THC compound that we are more familiar with, making up somewhere around 20 percent of the marijuana plant’s chemical composition. Delta 8 is the result of the natural aging process of delta 9, meaning that it’s ultimately a degraded form of the more commonly sought-after THC compound. As a result, delta 8 still produces psychoactive properties, but they’re milder. Many people who use delta 8 describe it as calming and uplifting, without the fogginess.
Beyond that, delta 8, being a cannabinoid, works directly with the body’s endocannabinoid system to produce regulatory actions that may be useful. Delta 8 binds with CB1 receptors in the nervous system which control many bodily processes that determine how we feel both physically and mentally.
There’s only about 0.1 percent of this cannabinoid in the entire hemp plant, but companies have developed innovative ways to isolate and concentrate the compound to create formulas that offer high levels of delta 8.
Is Delta 8 Legal in California?
So maybe delta 8 is popular, but is it legal in California? In short, yes. First of all, the Farm Bill of 2018 legalized hemp on a federal level, stipulating that all hemp products could be sold and consumed legally if they contain at most 0.3 percent delta 9 THC. Delta 8 THC products sold commercially have a maximum of 0.3 percent delta 9, which means that they are legal.
Beyond that, California legalized recreational cannabis use statewide several years ago. As a result, both hemp and marijuana have been legal in the state for a long time now. Due to California’s cannabis laws, products sold over the counter can have more than 0.3 percent delta 9.
What this ultimately means is that delta 8 is fully legal throughout the state of California. Residents, therefore, can experiment with it as they so desire.
What Kinds of Delta 8 Products are Available in California?
If you’re a California resident who is interested in trying delta 8 but doesn’t know where to start, allow us to help. We’ve broken down the most popular delta 8 products that are available in the state.
- Vapes: Delta 8 vapes refer to any type of vaping product made with a delta 8 extract, which is used with a vaporizer device. You can find a few different forms of delta 8 vaping products, including bottles of e-liquid, pre-filled carts (cartridges) and disposable, all-in-one vape pens. Vapes are uniquely appealing because they offer effects within minutes, and those effects are felt relatively strongly compared to other methods.
- Tinctures: Delta 8 tinctures are great for those who want to maintain delta 8 levels in the system for a couple of hours, while those effects remain fairly potent. Tinctures consist of delta 8 extract and a carrier oil, and are taken sublingually, meaning that the formula is held under the tongue so that it absorbs through this tissue of the body.
- Gummies: Delta 8 gummies are gummy candies that allow us to ingest delta 8. The compound travels through the digestive system before activating in the bloodstream. It takes an hour or two for the delta 8 to peak in the body, and can provide hours of activity while being felt more subtly.
- Capsules: Like edibles, capsules are for ingesting delta 8 into the body. The effects tend to peak within a slightly shorter time frame than edibles, and stay active for a few hours.
- Flower: Delta 8 flower is a pretty new product on the delta 8 market, and it’s the buds of the hemp plant that have been infused with a delta 8 extract. The flower is either smoked, vaporized or cooked with, and it provides all of the effects of delta 8 combined with the numerous properties found within the chemical composition of the hemp flower.
Where Can Californians Find Delta 8?
Now that you know the different types of delta 8 products that are available in California, let’s talk about the best places to find them.
- Dispensaries: These can be found throughout the state of California, and here is where you are likely to find the widest variety of high-quality delta 8 goods available for purchase in person. Dispensaries carefully select products from only the most reputable companies producing these products.
- Vape Shops: Some vape shops may carry delta 8 products as well, especially delta 8 vape products. Make sure that if you choose your delta 8 from one of these businesses, that you know for a fact that they sell only high-quality, lab-tested products.
- Online Distributors: Online hemp distributors may offer the widest selections of delta 8 products, providing goods from many companies while ensuring that each product meets industry standards. These companies seek out the highest-quality delta 8 on the market and bring it all together into one marketplace.
- Hemp Companies: You can buy delta 8 directly from the websites of companies that produce these products.
What to Look for in Delta 8 Products Sold in California
There may be a lot of delta 8 in California, but how do you know that it’s all legitimate, safe and effective? The first thing that any enthusiast should do is look for lab reports from a third-party. Companies having their hemp extracts tested by a third party has become standard throughout the industry, and these lab reports should be made available to customers. They contain unbiased information about the purity levels of the product, the presence of microbes, the potency and more.
Further, you should always do a little bit of research on a company when you can. See what reviews have to say and find out what their manufacturing methods are.
Finally, make sure that you explore the various delivery methods, formulations, milligram strengths and strains to end up with a delta 8 product that best suits your needs.
The popularity of delta 8 is growing fast, and it’s clear that Californians have embraced this unique cannabis compound wholeheartedly. The good news is that if you live in California, you can experience this cannabinoid legally, and find it easily both within state lines and online.
Looking for Something?
Pardon the mess as we are just preparing to launch over the next few weeks and months as your source for THC, CBD etc.
Sign-up for early updates,
releases, & promotions.