Medical Cannabis and CBD for Muscle Spasms
Painful and disruptive involuntary, uncontrolled muscle contractions are called cramps or muscle spasms. Any body muscle might be affected, but they mostly happen in the legs, feet, and back. Many have cramps on usual occasions; others have them once in a while – but overall, there might not be a person who has never experienced craps. While spasms can be caused by a variety of factors, they can also be a symptom of underlying health issues such as back pain. In this article, we will review common reasons for cramps and answer the questions: is weed a muscle relaxant, and can CBD for muscle spasms be useful?
This post is intended as information and for general knowledge only. It is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. It is recommended that you talk to a healthcare professional about this before introducing cannabinoids into your daily routine (especially if you have been diagnosed with any medical conditions or are under any medication). It is not recommended to drive or operate any machinery when using cannabis- or hemp-derived products. Use responsibly!
What Causes Muscle Spasms?
Сramps can be caused by a variety of factors, like muscle fatigue, dehydration, and other medical states. Other probable causes include:
- Poor posture, including sitting for a long time and improperly.
- High-intensity exercise, exercising in the heat, or injury to a muscle.
- Pinched nerves.
- Spinal abnormalities, restriction in the blood supply.
- Hormonal imbalances.
Muscle spasms can point to various diseases. Hence your doctor’s supervision is needed.
Symptoms of Muscle Spasms
The main symptom of cramps is an involuntary contraction, which, in addition, can be painful and disruptive. Other symptoms may include:
- Tenderness or swelling in the affected muscle.
- Difficulty moving the affected muscle.
After the cramp is over, you might still feel muscle weakness or fatigue for quite some time.
What Type of Back Pain Symptoms Are Treated by Medical Marijuana?
Back pain is a common cause of muscle spasms, and weed may provide relief for certain types of back pain. Medical cannabis may be effective for:
- Chronic back pain;
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal);
- Spinal abnormalities such as herniated discs or osteoporosis.
It is worth mentioning that marijuana for back spasms is not to be considered as treatment or medicine; it can alleviate symptoms individually, though each user’s experience might differ. Back pain can be a symptom of many medical conditions, so do not hesitate to contact your healthcare provider to get in-time help.
How Cannabis Can Help Relieve the Symptoms of Muscle Spasms
The chemical compounds found in marijuana, known as cannabinoids, have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects, which may be beneficial for those with muscle spasms. They bind with the endocannabinoid system, or ECS, which is a complex system of receptors and neurotransmitters that is responsible for regulating many functions, including sleep, appetite, mood, and pain perception. Such medical use of cannabis and the interaction of cannabinoids and ECS receptors may ease cramps and related pain.
CBD Medical Marijuana Strains
CBD, a non-psychoactive chemical compound found in marijuana, has been shown to have a variety of potential therapeutic effects, including anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects. Speaking of CBD for spasms, some strains are high in Cannabidiol and may be helpful for relieving muscle spasms, such as:
- Harlequin. This strain is high in CBD and low in THC, making it a good option for those looking for the therapeutic benefits of marijuana without the psychoactive effects.
- Charlotte’s Web. This strain is known for its high CBD content and is often used for easing chronic pain and cramps.
- ACDC. This strain is also high in CBD and low in THC, making it a good option for those looking for the therapeutic benefits of marijuana without the psychoactive effects.
Each plant’s chemical profile might differ even within the same strain, so it is important to get information about CBD for muscle spasms either from your healthcare provider or a well-qualified dispensary worker.
THC Medical Marijuana Strains
What is tetrahydrocannabinol, and does THC relax muscles? THC, the primary chemical compound found in the marijuana plant, is responsible for the psychoactive effects of marijuana. While THC may not have the same anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects as CBD, it may be able to improve sleep and reduce anxiety, which can further contribute to relief from cramps. Some strains that are high in THC and may be helpful for relieving muscle spasms include:
- Granddaddy Purple. This strain is high in THC and known for its relaxing effects, making it a good option for relieving muscle spasms and improving sleep.
- Blue Dream. This strain is also high in THC and known for its calming effects, which may be helpful for relieving muscle spasms and reducing anxiety.
- Northern Lights. This strain is high in THC and known for its relaxing effects, making it a good option for relieving muscle spasms and improving sleep.
It is important to note that while cannabis may provide relief for muscles, more studies are needed to fully understand its safety and effectiveness. As with any potential treatment option, it is important for patients and healthcare professionals to carefully consider the benefits and risks when using weed as a supplementary help for spasms.