Pregnancy, Breastfeeding & Cannabis
Should pregnant or breastfeeding women use cannabis?
There are possible negative wellness impacts with use of marijuana items including THC in expecting or breast feeding women. Published scientific literature suggests negative results of cannabis usage in pregnant females, consisting of fetal development constraint, low birth weight, preterm birth, small-for-gestational age, neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) admission, and stillbirth. [1, 2, 3]
Based upon a published animal study, there are likewise concerns that use of cannabis while pregnant might adversely impact fetal brain growth. [4, 5, 6] The American College of Obstetricians as well as Gynecologists (ACOG) suggests that women who are expectant or considering becoming pregnant should stop cannabis use.
From the CDC:
What are the potential health effects of using marijuana during my pregnancy?
- Some research shows that using marijuana while you are pregnant can cause health problems in newborns— including low birth weight.10,11
- Breathing marijuana smoke can also be bad for you and your baby. Marijuana smoke has many of the same chemicals as tobacco smoke and may increase the chances for developmental problems in your baby
- What You Should Know About Using Cannabis, Including CBD, When Pregnant or Breastfeeding – U.S. Food & Drug Administration
- What You Need to Know About Marijuana Use and Pregnancy – CDC
- The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids Report – National Academy of Sciences
- LactMed – Search “Cannabis” – U.S. National Library of Medicine
- The Transfer of Drugs and Therapeutics into Human Breast Milk: An Update on Selected Topics – American Academy of Pediatrics
- Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk – American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding
- Marijuana Use During Pregnancy and Lactation – American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Clinical Protocol #21: Guidelines for Breastfeeding and Substance Use or Substance Use Disorder – Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
Looking for Something?
Pardon the mess as we are just preparing to launch over the next few weeks and months as your source for THC, CBD etc.
Sign-up for early updates,
releases, & promotions.