ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and it affects millions of Americans of all ages. Usually diagnosed during childhood, this condition affects the nervous system, causing cognitive challenges such as a lack of focus and concentration and hyperactivity as a need for constant stimulation and movement.
While ADHD has only been a diagnosable disorder for a few decades, there are already promising treatment options that usually rely on prescription drugs. Yet many people with ADHD prefer a holistic approach to managing attention deficit hyperactivity disorder due to sensitivities to specific medications or certain lifestyles. One potential option being explored is delta 8 THC, which could offer adults with ADHD some form of relief due to its unique effect on the nervous system.
Can Delta 8 THC Be Useful to Someone with ADHD?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, as we just mentioned, is a disorder resulting from dysfunction of the central nervous system. This system maintains the balance of neurotransmitters, cognitive functions like concentration and motivation, energy levels, mental stamina, emotional sensitivity, and more. In people living with ADHD, the nervous system is not correctly regulated, and this can lead to symptoms including poor attention and hyperactivity that interferes with being able to complete essential tasks daily.
Now, that brings us to delta 8 THC. Delta 8 is one of many cannabinoids in the hemp plant; sometimes, it can be derived from CBD, or cannabidiol, another cannabinoid found in hemp. Cannabinoids bind to cannabinoid receptors in the body to regulate individual bodily systems by making specific processes more efficient.
There are two classes of cannabinoid receptors in the body:
- CB1 receptors correlate to the nervous system.
- CB2 receptors are located in the digestive tract and immune system, primarily.
Most cannabinoids spread out between CB1 and CB2 receptors, like CBD. But, delta 8 THC has been found to have an exclusive affinity for CB1 receptors, focusing its attention on the nervous system. This means that out of all of the cannabinoids discovered in hemp, delta 8 may be the most effective for addressing nervous system imbalance, specifically.
Basically, by taking delta 8, ADHD symptoms could be possibly regulated, such as attention span, energy levels, and hyperactivity. Also, delta-8 THC is to be taken only by adults, as this compound is psychoactive – mildly if compared to delta-9 THC in marijuana, but still enough to produce a high that is simply not appropriate or safe for children.
No studies have been done specifically on delta-8’s effects on ADHD symptoms. Still, given what we know about its functions and our nervous system, there is a lot of potential and reasons to feel optimistic.
One study has discovered that delta-9 THC may help those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Delta 9 and delta 8 are isomers (i.e., they have similar chemical structures), so the two cannabinoids share a great deal regarding their effects. When this article was published, delta 8 was new to the market in its isolated form, so scientists have not yet had a chance to examine particularly its effects on ADHD. However, we anticipate that research will be done soon as this cannabinoid has become federally legal and gains more and more popularity.
What are the Different Types of Delta 8 THC Products to Try for ADHD?
Delta-8 THC comes in a wide array of product types, much like cannabidiol (CBD) and other hemp products. The thing to know about delta 8 different delivery methods is that each one behaves in the body differently, affecting onset time and duration of effects. This information is essential if you want to take delta 8 for ADHD symptoms which can be particularly disruptive at different points of the day, like during work hours or when socializing.
- Delta 8 Vapes. A lot of people enjoy vaping delta 8 because they offer almost immediate and potent effects. Compared to other methods, you may feel the effects of a delta-8 kick in after just a couple of minutes, and these effects last for about an hour or two.
- Delta 8 Oils/Tinctures. Great for those who want a medium-high or high potency level of effects and a longer duration as well. It takes about an hour to feel the effects of delta 8, but they can last for up to 6 hours, which can be helpful during the day when concentration is necessary.
- Delta 8 Edibles. Delta 8 gummies, hard candies, and even baked goods offer up to 9-hour effects, taking about 2 hours to kick in. The effects are more potent, which can be helpful when hyperactive or feeling physical tension. Perfect for people living with ADHD and looking to sustain levels of delta 8 in the body for a long period of time.
- Delta 8 Capsules. Like other edibles, capsules offer a long duration of effects, but they may take less time to absorb into the body; hence, their effects kick in faster.
- Delta 8 Flower. Basically, it is a CBD hemp flower that has been infused with delta-8 THC. When it comes to those who are trying to manage their ADHD, it can help by offering better focus and concentration due to its strain profile, terpenes, and cannabinoids it is infused with. It can work fast when either smoked or vaped. In order to save some of your time and energy, there are pre-rolls perfectly rolled and packed for you to enjoy.
How Can Someone with ADHD Use Delta 8 THC Properly?
No matter which delta-8 THC product type or delivery method you select to help you deal with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, it is crucial to make sure of the following before choosing and using any type of product.
Talk to Your Medical Healthcare Provider
If you plan to attempt to address your ADHD symptoms using delta-8 THC, you must first discuss this with your doctor. If you see a separate specialist for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, you need to discuss the best delta 8 strain for ADHD.
For one thing, delta-8 THC may not be for everyone. Certain ADHD medications could interact with it, resulting in certain issues.
Time You Take Delta 8 Matters
Taking your dose of delta 8 determines when you will most strongly feel its effects. As seen above, each delivery method allows for a specific onset time and duration of effects. If you want delta-8 to be active during work hours, for instance, simply time your dose accordingly so that its effects are most prominent during this time of the day.
Take Delta 8 Daily
Taking delta 8 daily may be the most effective in the long-term perspective because cannabinoids work cumulatively in the body, being more effective over time when taken consistently.
Avoid Diving in Headfirst
There are different products containing different amounts of delta 8 THC. ADHD should be treated gradually. Be careful that while higher doses may be more potent, beginners do not have a tolerance to delta 8 psychoactive properties, and therefore this may result in an unwanted, overwhelming experience. So, it is best to start with a low dosage and gradually build your tolerance up.
Don’t Allow ADHD to Become the Main Focus in Your Life
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder can dramatically affect our life, get the most out of education, work and maintain healthy relationships. That being said, there are ways to improve the function of the nervous system so that common symptoms like a short attention span and a need for constant stimulation can be muted. As we gain knowledge about delta-8 THC, we discover more and more what may help a person manage the symptoms associated with ADHD. But, what is very important is that you follow your doctor’s advice and that you select your delta 8 from a company known for selling genuine, high-quality formulas that are free of harmful ingredients and extracted using advanced methods.