ADHD, formerly referred to as ADD, is Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, and it affects millions of Americans of all ages. Usually diagnosed during childhood, this condition affects the nervous system, causing cognitive challenges such as a lack of focus and concentration, and hyperactivity presenting itself as a need for constant stimulation and movement. [Source]
While ADHD has only been a diagnosable disorder for a few decades, there are already promising treatment options out there which usually rely on prescription drugs. But, there are many sufferers who would rather employ a holistic approach to managing Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, due to sensitivities to specific medications or certain lifestyles. One potential option that’s being explored is delta 8 THC, which could offer adult ADHD sufferers some form of relief due to its unique properties pertaining to the nervous system.
Can Delta 8 THC Be Useful to Someone with ADHD?
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, as we just mentioned, is a disorder resulting from dysfunction of the central nervous system. This system, among other tasks, maintains balance of neurotransmitters, cognitive functions like concentration and motivation, energy levels, mental stamina, emotional sensitivity and more. In ADHD sufferers, the nervous system is not regulated, and this can lead to symptoms including a poor attention span and hyperactivity that interferes with being able to complete important tasks on a daily basis.
Now, that brings us to delta 8 THC. Delta 8 is a minor cannabinoid in the hemp plant, taking up about 0.1% of the plant’s chemical composition. Cannabinoids serve the purpose of binding to cannabinoid receptors located in the body to regulate individual bodily systems through making specific processes more efficient.
There are two classes of cannabinoid receptors in the body:
- CB1 receptors correlate to the nervous system.
- CB2 receptors are located in the digestive tract and immune system, primarily.
Most cannabinoids spread out between CB1 and CB2 receptors, like CBD (cannabidiol). But, delta 8 THC has been found to have an exclusive affinity for CB1 receptors, focusing its attention on the nervous system. What this means is that out of all of the cannabinoids discovered in hemp, delta 8 may be the most effective for addressing nervous system imbalance, specifically.
Basically, taking delta 8 could possibly regulate functions compromised in individuals with ADHD, such as attention span, energy levels and hyperactivity. Also, only adults with ADHD should take delta 8 THC, as the compound is psychoactive – only mildly so compared to the delta 9 THC in marijuana, but still enough to produce a high that is simply not appropriate or safe for children.
No studies have yet been done specifically on delta8’s impact on ADHD symptoms, but given what we know about its functions pertaining to the nervous system, there is a lot of potential, and reason to feel optimistic.
One particular study has uncovered that delta 9 THC may offer help to those with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Delta 9 is the predecessor compound of delta 8, and so the two cannabinoids share a great deal in common in terms of their effects. At the time of this article, delta-8 is new to the market in its isolated form, so scientists have not yet had a chance to examine its particular effects on ADHD, but we anticipate that research will be done in the near future as this cannabinoid grows in popularity.
What are the Different Types of Delta 8 THC Products to Try for ADHD?
Delta 8 THC comes in a wide array of product types, much like cannabidiol (CBD) and other hemp products that a lot of us have already taken by now. The thing to know about different delivery methods is that each one behaves in the body differently, affecting onset time and duration of effects, and this information is important if you want to take delta 8 to manage ADHD symptoms which can be particularly disruptive at different points of the day, like during work hours or when socializing.
- Delta 8 Vapes: A lot of people enjoy vaping delta 8 in the forms of pre-filled cartridges, disposable devices, and bottled e-liquids. Because they offer fast and potent effects compared to other methods, you may feel the effects of delta-8 kick in after just a couple of minutes, and these effects last for about an hour or two.
- Delta 8 Oils/Tinctures: Great for those who want a medium-high potency level of effects and a longer duration as well. It takes about an hour to feel the effects of delta 8, but they can last for up to 6 hours, which can be useful during stretches of the day when concentration is a necessity.
- Delta 8 Edibles: Delta 8 gummies, hard candies, and even baked goods offer up to 9 hours of effects, taking about 2 hours to kick in. The effects are felt more in the body than other methods, which can be useful if hyperactivity causes a feeling of physical tension. Perfect for ADHD sufferers looking to sustain levels of delta 8 in the body for the majority of the day.
- Delta 8 Capsules: Offer a duration of effects similar to edibles, but they may take effect a bit sooner as they absorb more easily into the body due to a lack of complex ingredients that must be digested.
- Delta 8 Flower: Basically, it’s CBD hemp flower which has been infused with Delta-8. When it comes to those who are trying to manage their ADHD, it can help in a manner of offering better focus and concentration due to its strain profile, terpenes, and cannabinoids its infused with. Can work fast when either smoked or vaped. Not to mention, options for loose buds or pre-rolls to experience this flower product in.
How Can Someone with ADHD Properly Use Delta 8 THC?
No matter which delta-8 product type or delivery method you select in order help deal with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, it is crucial to make sure of the following before choosing and then using any type of product.
Your Medical Healthcare Providers Need to Know
If you plan to attempt to address your ADHD symptoms using delta 8, then you absolutely must first discuss this with your doctor. If you see a specialist for Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, you need to discuss delta 8 with them as well.
For one thing, delta 8 THC may not be for everyone. In fact, certain ADHD medications could interact with the delta 8 if they are metabolized by CYP3A4, an enzyme required to break down many commonly prescribed drugs, which is suppressed by delta-8 usage.
The Time You Take Delta 8 Matters
Of course, when you take your dose of delta 8 determines when you’ll most strongly feel the effects at work in the nervous system. As seen above, each delivery method allows for a specific onset time and duration of effects. If you want delta-8 to be active during work hours, for instance, simply time your dose accordingly so that its effects are most prominent during this time of the day.
Take Delta 8 Daily
Yes, taking delta 8 on a daily basis may be the most effective in the long-term, because cannabinoids work cumulatively in the body, being more effective over time when taken consistently.
Avoid Diving in Headfirst
Delta 8 comes in a variety of milligram strengths, reflecting the potency of the product in terms of its delta 8 THC concentration. Be mindful that while higher strengths may be more effective, beginners do not have a tolerance to the psychoactive properties of the compound yet, and therefore this may result in a feeling of being “too high”. So, it’s best to start with a low dosage and build your way up gradually as tolerated and desired.
Don’t Allow ADHD to Become the Main Focus in Your Life
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder can have dramatic effects on our ability to work, get the most out of an education, and maintain healthy relationships. That being said, there are ways to improve the function of the nervous system so that common symptoms like a short attention span and a need for constant stimulation can be muted. As we gain knowledge about delta 8 THC, the more we discover that it may help a person manage the symptoms associated with ADHD. But, what’s very important is that you follow your doctor’s advice once again, and that you select your delta 8 from a company known for selling genuine, high-quality formulas, that are free of harmful ingredients and extracted using advanced methods like CO2 extraction or steam distillation for maximum results.