All of us have moods that can shift during the day. We wake up feeling happy and optimistic about the day ahead, but then we get stuck in traffic on the way to work and rage and aggravation take over. Something that many of us take for granted is the fact that our mood is actually a complex function of the nervous system dependent on the balance of neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin, and cortisol, which can ebb and flow throughout the day based on changing circumstances that we encounter.
Sometimes, our moods can feel out of control. We might experience enormous despair that we just cannot seem to snap ourselves out of. Perhaps we just might be overwhelmed by stress due to a task that is beyond our comfort levels. Those who have extreme mood swings or mood disorders like anxiety and depression are often prescribed medications, but understandably, not everyone wants to commit to long-term drug use in order to feel mentally stable.
However, delta 8 THC, a minor cannabinoid in the hemp plant that has gotten a lot of hype since it was finally isolated recently, and promotes stronger effects, might be the next answer. Delta 8 comes in many forms, and, as we learn more about the unique properties of this cannabinoid, we’re finding more evidence that it may have an impact as it pertains to mood regulation.
Is Delta 8 THC Really Able to Improve Someone’s Mood?
Like we said, mood is a nervous system function involving a balance of neurotransmitters that dramatically impact our state of mind. Different circumstances of the day trigger the release of different neurotransmitters, with cortisol being secreted in moments of stress, dopamine being secreted during moments of pleasure and so on. Due to the high fluidity of these neurotransmitters, mood can shift dramatically from moment to moment.
A person’s mood can be less stable if they have an existing neurotransmitter imbalance, such as low serotonin production which is seen in those with depression, or hypersensitivity of the nervous system leading to excessive adrenal secretion, as seen in those who have anxiety.
The goal then is to support the nervous system in a way that helps it maintain better neurotransmitter balance. We can do this through prescription drugs, or we can look to natural solutions that may be gentler on the body.
What makes delta 8 unique from other cannabinoids is that it binds to CB1 receptors in the nervous system that pertain to nervous system functions; potentially offering distinctively potent effects on mood compared to other compounds of the hemp plant.
Delta 8 THC has been found in studies to offer:
- Anxiolytic properties, meaning that it can have a calming effect on the mind by balancing the secretion of cortisol that makes us feel stressed, irritable, or angry.
- Improved serotonin levels similarly to antidepressants, meaning that it could help us maintain a generally more optimistic state of mind leading to an elevated mood.
Although Delta 8 THC is still new to the market at the time of this article, many of its users describe the high that it produces as both calming and uplifting. Essentially, the intoxicating effect of the compound seems to have some sort of mood-stabilizing capability.
What are the Different Types of Delta 8 THC Products to Try for Improved Mood?
As you may know from using CBD in the past, different delta 8 delivery methods affect us differently. If you want to use delta 8 THC to regulate mood, it is important to select a delivery method best suited for the specific nature of your mood imbalances, as that will then help you get a better idea of what you can expect from each one in the beginning at least.
- Delta 8 Vapes: A lot of people prefer to vape delta 8 with a pre-filled cartridge, disposable device, or bottled e-liquid that can be poured into a compatible devices tank or open cart because it acts within minutes and feels particularly potent in the body. Effects last for no more than about 2 hours at most but can be helpful for sudden mood shifts experienced throughout the day.
- Delta 8 Oils/Tinctures: Can take effect in under an hour with properties lasting for up to 6 hours. Tinctures are not as potent as vaping products but can be helpful for those who want something a bit more long-lasting.
- Delta 8 Edibles: These can be in the forms of gummies, hard candies, or even baked goods, all promoting the longest-lasting effects. You might feel the effects for up to 9 hours. This can be helpful if you’re anticipating a day in which your mood will be greatly affected by certain circumstances like intensive responsibilities or for women having PMS.
- Delta 8 Capsules: Just like gummies in that they promote up to 9 hours of effects, although they may take effect a bit sooner because the formulas do not require so much work on the part of the digestive system to properly break down.
- Delta 8 Flower: Basically, it’s CBD hemp flower which has been infused with Delta-8. When it comes to someone’s mood, it can help in a blissful type of manner due to its strain profile, terpenes, and of course, the cannabinoids its infused with. Can work fast when either smoked or vaped. Not to mention, the options for loose buds or pre-rolls to experience this flower product in.
What are Some Ways to Properly Use Delta 8 THC for Mood-Regulating Purposes?
No matter which delta-8 product you choose in order to balance out your mood, you need to make sure of several crucial considerations before selecting and then using any type of product.
Bring Up Delta 8 with Your Doctor
One thing that is especially important is that you should talk to your doctor before starting a daily routine with delta 8 THC. A medical professional can help you figure out how best to use delta 8 for your specific needs, while also determining whether or not certain medications you’re on could negatively interact with delta-8. Some mood stabilizers and psychiatric medications rely on CYP3A4, an enzyme that can be suppressed by hemp cannabinoids.
If you are also seeing a mental healthcare professional, such as a therapist or psychologist, discuss delta 8 with them along with your general doctor who has a better idea of your overall medical history.
Time Your Delta 8 Usage
Each delivery method has a unique onset time after administration. If there is a time of day when you need the delta 8 to deliver its strongest mood-based effects, such as during work or at nighttime, you’ll want to time your dosage accordingly so that the effects peak right when you need them to.
Consistency is Key
Something that most of us out there have learned about cannabinoids is that the more consistently they are taken, the more effectively the body’s endocannabinoid system can use them to their fullest potential. That being said, we suggest taking delta 8 daily to maintain its potential mood-regulating properties.
Beginners may be anxious to take as strong of a dose as possible to manage their mood. But, due to the intoxicating nature of delta 8 THC, it is better to start slow, with the recommended dosage in a moderate milligram strength. This way, you can avoid getting “too high,” which can cause uneasiness and impairment of certain tasks like work. Over time, you can increase your daily amount of delta 8 until ending up with those desired results.
Potentially Give Your Mood the Right Boost with Delta 8 THC
All of us can find ourselves in a bad mood from time to time. After all, life is full of surprises, and not all of those surprises are in our favor. Good news is that there are ways to balance mood so that we can be less sensitive to the ups and downs that we encounter each day. There is a lot of research behind the properties of the hemp plant and its individual compounds like delta 8 THC that give us reason to think that it could be worth trying if your mood is less than ideal. If you decide to go with delta 8 make sure that you choose a trustworthy company to buy it from, such as weed.com, so that you end up with the highest-quality and most effective formula possible.